Login  •  Register

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 12 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:10 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Cycling in Melbourne

Questions and feedback for riders in Melbourne

Moderator: asd

Cycling in Melbourne

Postby noexcusezone on Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:55 pm

Tell us about cycling in and around Melbourne
noexcusezone

Re: Cycling in Melbourne

Postby baudman on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:01 pm

I certainly live in the No Excuse Zone in Melbourne. My daily commute is only 9.5km.

I ride to/from work, and to do a lot of other errands etc. Recently bought a CargoBike and now rarely use the car.

Most of my routes are quite stress free. I ride assertively, so I don't mind taking the lane when that is required, however, that only happens on a couple of points in any ride. Generally, I don't get much grief from anyone.
baudman

Postby kittyb on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:42 am

I live in the no excuse zone and was reasonably happy cycling to work in Parkville from West Footscray/Braybrook area despite feeling threatened most days. I also ride assertively. Now that I'm pregnant, I feel the threat of cars cutting me off, trucks pulling out and turning in front of me and the mess of road rules in Footscray centre is not worth the risk. The gaps in the on-road cycle path, the narrow roads with speeding cars and general disregard for other road users bothered me before, but now I feel that the threat to my safety is too much of a risk. Now I brave crossing the road from the local train station against vehicles who have no idea what the road rules are.
kittyb

Postby andrew011 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Cycling in Melbourne, Victoria is common on the roads and paths for recreation, commuting and as a sport. However it is not one of the popular modes of transportation despite an extensive network of bicycle pathsand some designated bicycle lanes on roads. There is an active cycling culture enhanced by a relatively flat topography, and a generally mild climate.Cycling in Melbourne was a very popular form of transport at the turn of the 19th Century, however overall bicycle use went into steady decline with introduction of helmet legislation in the 1990s having a significant negative effect on its popularity. In recent years, the popularity of cycling for health, fitness, and as a non-polluting alternative to the automobile is increasing in Melbourne. Use of bicycles for transport as cycling still accounts for around 2% of trips in Melbourne.
andrew011

Return to Melbourne